Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA)
VIP StarNetwork, LLC offers services, such as helping you find and learn about nearby healthcare providers, booking appointments with the healthcare provider(s) of your choice, managing and forwarding your health history forms and other health-related information to share with you healthcare providers (“VIP StarNetwork, LLC Services”). As part of providing the VIP StarNetwork, LLC Services, VIP StarNetwork, LLC may collect, use, share, and exchange your health history forms and other health-related information with Your Healthcare Providers. Under a federal law called the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (“HIPAA”), health and health-related information may be considered “protected health information” or “PHI” if such information is received from or on behalf of Your Healthcare Providers.
Safeguards for PHI
HIPAA protects the privacy and security of your PHI by limiting the uses and disclosures of PHI by most healthcare providers and by health plans (called “Covered Entities”) as well as companies, like VIP StarNetwork, LLC, that provide certain types of assistance to Covered Entities (called “Business Associates”). Under certain circumstances described in HIPAA, an individual needs to sign an Authorization form before a Covered Entity, like Your Healthcare Provider(s), can disclose protected health information to a third party.
Non-Protected Health Information
Your PHI Authorization
The purpose of this VIP StarNetwork, LLC Authorization (“Authorization”) is to request your written permission to allow VIP StarNetwork, LLC to use and disclose your PHI in the same way as we use and disclose your Non-PHI. If VIP StarNetwork, LLC is a Business Associate of Your Healthcare Providers, VIP StarNetwork, LLC needs your Authorization to be able to use and disclose your PHI in the same way it can currently use and disclose your Non-PHI when VIP StarNetwork, LLC is not working on behalf of your healthcare providers, but is instead working on its own behalf. Therefore, when VIP StarNetwork, LLC relies on this Authorization, and uses and discloses PHI as described in this Authorization, it is not working as a Business Associate and the HIPAA requirements that apply to Business Associates will not apply to such uses and disclosures.
Specifically, you agree that VIP StarNetwork, LLC can use your PHI to:
- Enable and customize your use of the VIP StarNetwork, LLC Services;
- Provide you alerts or other VIP StarNetwork, LLC Services regarding future appointments;
- Notify you regarding providers we think you may be interested in learning more about;
- Share information with you regarding services, products or resources about which we think you may be interested in learning more;
- Provide you with updates and information about the VIP StarNetwork, LLC Services;
- Market to you about VIP StarNetwork, LLC and third-party products and services;
- Conduct analysis for VIP StarNetwork, LLC’s business purposes;
- Support development of the VIP StarNetwork, LLC Services; and
- Create de-identified information and then use and disclose this information in any way permitted by law, including to third parties in connection with their commercial and marketing efforts.
- You also agree that VIP StarNetwork, LLC can disclose your PHI to:
- Third parties assisting VIP StarNetwork, LLC with any of the uses described above;
- Your Healthcare Providers to enable them to refer you to, and make appointments with, other providers on your behalf, or to perform an analysis on potential health issues or treatments, provided that you choose to use the applicable VIP StarNetwork, LLC Service;
- A third party as part of a potential merger, sale or acquisition of VIP StarNetwork, LLC;
- Our business partners who assist us by performing core services (such as hosting, billing, fulfillment, or data storage and security) related to the operation or provision of our services, even when VIP StarNetwork, LLC is no longer working on behalf of Your Healthcare Providers;
- A provider of medical services, in the event of an emergency; and
- Organizations that collect, aggregate and organize your information so they can make it more easily accessible to your providers.
If VIP StarNetwork, LLC discloses your PHI, VIP StarNetwork, LLC will require that the person or entity receiving your PHI agrees to only use and disclose your PHI to carry out its specific business obligations to VIP StarNetwork, LLC or for the permitted purpose of the disclosure (as described above) VIP StarNetwork, LLC cannot, however, guarantee that any such person or entity to which VIP StarNetwork, LLC discloses your PHI or other information will not re-disclose it in ways that you or we did not intend or permit.
Expiration and Revocation of Authorization
Your Authorization remains in effect until you provide written notice of revocation to VIP StarNetwork, LLC.
YOU CAN CHANGE YOUR MIND AND REVOKE THIS AUTHORIZATION AT ANY TIME AND FOR ANY (OR NO) REASON.
If you wish to revoke this Authorization, you must notify VIP StarNetwork, LLC by submitting a revocation through your account settings page. Your decision not to execute this Authorization or to revoke it at any time will not affect your ability to use certain of the VIP StarNetwork, LLC Services. A Revocation of Authorization is effective after you submit it to VIP StarNetwork, LLC, but it does not have any effect on VIP StarNetwork, LLC’s prior actions taken in reliance on the Authorization before revoked.
Once VIP StarNetwork, LLC receives your Revocation of Authorization, VIP StarNetwork, LLC can only use and disclose your PHI as permitted in VIP StarNetwork, LLC’s agreements with your healthcare provider(s). Your Revocation of Authorization does not affect VIP StarNetwork, LLC’s use of your Non-PHI.
We will make available to your healthcare provider(s), current and past, your agreement to or revocation of this Authorization.